Monday 9 December 2013

It's been a while!

I haven't written in a while! Mostly because we've been busy and I've been tired/typing whilst children are awake is basically impossible, and at night I need to frantically knit and read. I'd like to start updating more, so here is a quick post!

- Winter here is strange. Today it is 6 Celsius. Where is my snow? It snowed in Texas for crying out loud! WTF Massachusetts? Today it sort of snowed, but then freezing rain came and it all melted. However, it was still nice to wake up to some white, makes it feel a little more like home. We went to get our Christmas tree on the weekend, and people were at the farm in hoodies, one guy was wearing SHORTS. I'm disgusted.

- I still can't get used to a lot of the food here. The butter tastes weird and sweet, ketchup is weird and sweet (which I'm convinced is because it contains corn syrup down here. I had my friend compare the ingredients list to Canadian ketchup, which uses cane sugar). There are NO Bicks pickles, no Keen's hot mustard, no President's Choice, the bread is weird and sugary...and Dunkin' Donuts is no Tim Horton's. I miss familiarity...I miss large containers of Liberte Yogurt. To be fair I guess some of those products might be available in the USA somewhere... just not anywhere I have tried.

-Holiday season just doesn't feel like holiday season without friends and family around. For Thanksgiving I cooked a huge Turkey dinner, and it was odd only cooking for the 4 of us. Not to mention our oven is a bastard and overcooked my turkey, since it changes temperatures seemingly at will. The turkey was the texture of bark. BARK. I hate cooking turkey or any other meat, as I'm what you might call "crazy" and I feel the need to bleach the entire world after a raw piece of anything is in my house. I swore I would never cook a meat other than fish again after the bark turkey incident, and since then I've kept that promise. Not to mention, Knox has taken to exclusively eating meat, so we aren't buying any for a while. Eve is a self-made vegetarian, so it seems to work out fine. I wanted to make a traditional Danish Christmas Eve dinner this year (reminds me of my Grandmother & Christmas as a child), which includes pork roast with crackling- so I may have to make an exception for that. Get your hazmat suits on kids, Mommy needs to burn and bleach everything!

Here are a few photos: Happy Holidays!














No comments:

Post a Comment