Tuesday 11 June 2013

Hmmm...

Coming here as a Canadian, I think I came with certain preconceived notions about Americans, thanks to the media I've been exposed to I suppose... I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, here are some of my initial assumptions based on what I've "heard", and then actual experiences.

-American's aren't as friendly as Canadians, and it will take time to get used to them. I actually had an American friend on Facebook tell me that Bostonians are somewhat surly, and it takes time to get used to their disposition.

Truth: I have found everyone here to be incredibly friendly & helpful, almost to the point where I thought, "wow, men from around here are very flirty", but then I went to the post office and chatted with two ladies there, and they were the same, so I'm chalking it up to people in general. People here have been wonderful, kind and patient (possibly with the exception of the drivers, but I'm sure we are pretty irritating to drive around, since we aren't used to the weird road set-up). I think sometimes being forward and blunt could be confused with a surly disposition, but so far for both of us, people have been very kind!

-Most of the food here isn't great for you/isn't regulated properly/the reviewing boards and inspection agencies are corrupt.

Truth: Ok, so most of that IS true, BUT there is an entire side opposing that kind of behaviour. Whole Foods is a great example. We've been shopping there pretty much exclusively, and we both just feel better physically. Nearly everything  is organic or GMO free, they also don't carry anything with preservatives. When you go to the meat counter, they have an animal welfare rating system from 1-5 , telling you about the way your meat was handled & raised. You can read more about this here. It's pretty incredible and as far as I know there isn't anything like it in Canada. As easy as it is to eat horrible food here, like the Dunkin' Donuts
donut breakfast sandwich (barf), it's just as easy to eat healthy whole foods.


-There is a lot of crime/I will be mugged on the spot/carry your bag across your body not over your shoulder.

Truth: Well, there is more crime here for a number of reasons, and I have to say every time we've left the house in the car we always see police cars and sirens rushing off somewhere. Not to mention the people we are subletting from have a friend of theirs coming to pick up the mail, and he thought saw our windows left open when we were out, and wrote us an email saying "You can't leave your windows open, there WILL be a break-in". Capital 'WILL'. Our windows weren't open, but this freaked me out, which is why I'm so happy our potential new apartment has video/audio front entrance surveillance from inside your apartment, and is on the 4th floor.

I think that's all for now, I now have to go to the post office and Rite-Aid to get Knox some crayons for him to draw with, and for Eve to inevitably eat.










9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankgood...just figured out how to comment!!...wow i love your updates on your blog krystle....you are so very funny with your pictures you drew about the bed you sleep on, that blog was hillarious!!!!. good to hear you guys are travelling around and getting to know your surroundings, and love to see pics of my "biscuit and sunshine". love ya all outrageously...momma xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank goodness....I just figured out how to send a comment!!. Love all the updates krystle on your blog, what a great idea. Your pictures you drew of the bed you sleep on were hillarious (you always do make me laugh so hard).xo. Love to see that you are travelling around to get to know your area and your new Bostonian people. Love seeing pictures of my "biscuit and sunshine lollypop"..miss you all like crazy. love ya outrageously xoxoxoxox cannot wait for another update birdie !! xo ta for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Break in from the 4th floor? Is Spidey from Boston? I love that you are blogging btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our possible new place is on the 4th floor, this place is on the ground floor! And always smells of propane...

      Delete
  5. Break in from the 4th floor? Is Spidey from Boston? I love that you are blogging, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooohhhh I just reread your blog that the NEW apartment is on the 4th floor. Take that, Spidey. Actually, maybe best not to taunt him. But wait, doesn't he fight crime, not cause it? So good to taunt him into protecting you? I'm confused. It's that kind of day.

    ReplyDelete